1. Gear Up
Really important to have comfortable clothes and shoes like:
- A real comfy pair of trackies or shorts.
- Feel good T-shirts or sports tops.
- A good pair of shoes. Find a pair of ‘walking shoes’ that you like the look and feel of. Everyone's feet are different and this investment is really important. Walking shoes are made with the walker's needs in mind so spend some good time making your choice. Nothing beats feeling good about the look and feel of your shoes!!!!
- Good sox – Huge choice in sports sox so find some that you like the look and feel of – Personally we like the slightly padded heel ones.
- A pedometer. It is really interesting and motivating to track your distance or steps taken. A few extra steps each day and in no time you’ll be amazed at how far you’re walking. Pedometers can also count calories. You can load your distances walked into Wonder Walkers Walk Diary to track your progress around NZ or along the great wall of China!
2. Set your walks
Take a bit of time to decide where you want to walk.
It might be round the block – or to the local shops or park or somewhere else that’s interesting. You can check out Wonder Walkers Walk Info for finding some interesting walks in your town. This is YOUR time so it’s important that you select a walk that’s enjoyable for you. Walking should be about enjoying the magic of the outdoors and you’ll be amazed at how much is out there waiting for you to enjoy. It's also good to add a few different walks so you get a change of scenery.
3. To walk alone or not…
Some prefer to walk alone – If you would like some company then here's some ideas:
- Make a pact with a friend to get fitter for summer and 2009.
- Do you know of a dog that needs some exercise?
- Have you checked out the walking groups in your area – Check Out Wonder Walkers Walk Info –Walking Groups
- Have you thought about trying to find a walking buddy through WonderWalkers Forums?
Before walking always do a few stretches to help warm up your muscles
5. Drink Water
Always important to drink plenty of water.
6. Think positively
Walking regularly is about doing something that’s good for your body, mind and soul. Its also good for the environment and you can enjoy sites and sounds you never thought possible – Walking is one of life’s free gifts. Unwrap it and Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!BACK