Ask a question...
- Kia ora. I'm a wahine Maori, 67, overweight and BP today was 160/86. Tis high so have made an appointment with GP. Been walking for the last 8 weeks averaging 5kms a day. Want to lose weight. In the last 4 weeks have cut down on salt, dairy & sugar. Meat...
31 January 2013
- How much walk and time will take to lose 7 kg with normal diet habit?
9 December 2012
- How often should I walk and how far to get real benefit.
4 January 2008
- I am a big girl who likes to walk to get fit. I can walk long distances, but it takes me awhile.
I now have a plantar fascia injury on my heel, which can be really painful. I possibly got it from walking too much...
7 November 2012
- I have just registered to walk the Oxfam Trailfinders Walk in April next year. 100km !! How do you possibly start to train to walk 100ks? I do a bit of walking and cardio at the gym 3 times a week. I have 7 months and wondered what you would...
11 October 2009
19 May 2011
- Hi there
I am sitting here going from one article to another in the Wonder Walkers site and thoroughly enjoying all of them. Well done!...
16 May 2011
- How Pedometers Work?
Can anyone let me know how these pedometers are suppose to work, I seem to be getting mixed results and I am sure I have it set up properly. Also I seem to be suffering from shin splints has anyone got any ideas!!
14 July 2008
- As I am new to this I would like to know how to convert the steps on my pedometer to kms for my diary? The make is an Omron S T E P S
25 July 2008
- Question: I am really struggling in buying some really good shoes to walk in...
29 June 2010
- Question: I am having trouble losing weight and need advise. I am on Jenny Craig and on 5000kj a day. I run on the treadmill for 3 kms. With walking added to bring it up to half an hour. 6 times a week. I write down everything I eat, don't...
18 October 2010
- I am going to walk the Taranaki Dailty New half marathon (one of the hardest half marathons in NZ) on the 3rd October 2010. I haven;t walked a half marathon for 5 years but I can walk for over an hour at a comfortable pace. By walking this for five...
30 July 2010
- I have had a knee replacement after a failed knee reconstruction on my left knee, and my right knee has had 4 reconstructions. Jogging is out of the question, however I do enjoy walking. The issue is how best to protect my joints - what footwear do you recommend? What...
13 July 2010
- I know that when training to run a marathon the longest run you should do is around 37-42km. Is it the same to walk a marathon? I have read conflicting advice about the distance your longest walk should be in your training programme. Some say only in the 30km range,...
5 May 2010
- I am male, 23 with 46kg weight and 5'.6" height. I am too skinny so please tell me what I should do in the morning walk to extend my body and weight.
5 May 2010
- In an effort to pump up my fitness I've started walking home from the office each afternoon (so basically 4-5 times per week). This walk covers a distrance of approx 11.5km and currently takes me 2hr 5mins. The trip is mostly flat but there are a few stretches of long,...
12 April 2010
- Do you have any suggestions for resistance exercises that can be done at home.? I can't afford to join a gym and although I walk I read alot about "resistance" execises to boost metabolism and build muscle.
29 March 2010
- I have been doing a fitness walking programme for about a year and walk/jog about 6km at least five times a week. My BMI is about 20 and I feel pretty fit. There is a 15.5km event coming up on Feb 20th. Do you think its realistic for me to...
5 February 2010
- I am at least 25kgs overweight and wish to start a walking programme. My problem is that I have not done any exercise for at least 10/15 years and even the shortest/slowest walk makes me puffed which is not helped by my house being surrounded by hilly streets. Can you...
29 January 2010
- I was just wondering how to get into speed walking? I am currently living in Invercargill and was wondering if you know of any clubs?
Also would you be able to tell me what a fast time is for a 10km walk please?
20 January 2010
- My biggest problem is that after walking for about 45 mins, I always need to go to the loo (despite pumping the bilges prior to the walk). I have tried not drinking w ater when i walk, but need to. I am...
6 January 2010
- I am 52 and i used to walk every day weather it was raining or just out right freezing but I have lost all motivation I need some help to get back on track.
5 December 2009
- I am 58 and weigh between 61 an 63kgs which I know is not a bad weight for my height (163cm) but I have noticed over the last 3 to 4 years, and having gone through menopause, that my weight has increased and my clothes are tighter, my belts need...
15 November 2009
- Wendy, thanks for your reply to my query about weightloss. I was curious to read in point 2, your question asking if I was sleeping well. I havent been sleeping well at all and havent understood why not as I thought my body would become tired through exercise- therefore resulting...
7 November 2009
- Since February this year, I have gone from 134.5kgs to 107kgs and obviously have more to lose. The first 20 kilos were lost steadily thru exercise, eating well and sheer determination-consistently reducing the kilos. The remaining 7 kgs have been so much harder to lose-I am working harder at my...
26 October 2009
- What sort of maintenance programme would I plan for after the 10 weeks
24 September 2009
- I have just read an article on Yahoo suggesting that 15,000 steps is a goal to aim for. I have just started walking and am up to 12,000. I am not sure that I could manage 15,000. Any ideas?
21 September 2009
- I am an active person, until recently i walked 2km in the morning to work and 2km at night home as well as attending the gym 4 nights a week. I have recently shifted house and as a result i am now walking 5km in the morning to work and...
17 September 2009
- Hi, was just wondering if I am being active enough? Walk 5.4 kms in 50 minutes and am 5.2, is that an ok rate? I do this on average 4-5 times a week. I am 38 years old. Thanks
10 September 2009
- Using the pedometre, I started walking - for about 12 weeks. It was fantastic, I lost weight and toned up. I then started running and really enjoyed it and made a plan with small steps to run more. However, I got a sore knee. I went to my doctor, an...
17 August 2009
- Hi as a new member I would like to start a walking plan to increase my health and loose weight because I have to have a major operation within the next few months. Unfortunately I cannot eat nuts, grains and dairy. What do you suggest food wise? Protein Bars are...
17 August 2009
- Hi, I have been walking the GCC challenge averaging 12000 steps a day approx 8kms daily, and my goal now is to do a 1/2 marathon (walking)- I seem to manage a good 4hour walk okay Is it possible?
11 August 2009
- I have a BMI about 32 (ish), similar to my husband, and we have been advised to lose weight by a fertility specialist so we have more chance of conceiving. We have been advised to lose 5 kg in 6-8 weeks, and start losing weight from there. We have started...
10 August 2009
- Very often when I go for a walk the pulp of my fingers will become red, swollen & very itchy. It happens to just 1-2 fingers each time and is different each day. Do you know why this is? and how can I avoid it?
7 August 2009
- I am have a BMI of 31 and want to do a 12km run on 22 September. I walk often but don't run. I have seen plans out there for a 12km plan to do this, however it is a really long distance... Is this achievable?
17 July 2009
- How do I convert other exercise to km?
Ie bike riding or swimming
20 July 2009
- When I power walk at 7:30 in the evening I am always interupted with a bowel movement and often there is no place to go. So my walk is ended early. What can I do to have a bm before I go to walk?
17 July 2009
- Here's my problem : my BMI is 18.5, so I can't put myself on a diet, but I have a thick layer of belly fat ( I'm an apple shape women ). If I do some exercice, I'll not only lose belly fat but also fat in other areas (...
12 June 2009
- I have just started walking on a treadmill for 20 mins a day 5 days a week at 5.3k an hour. It is not for weight loss just to tone up. Will this be enough?
28 May 2009
- A group of us mature girls have started walking and we try to have a weekend in auckland to combine strees relief(Shopping ) with an organised walk. the problem is that we keep getting passed by these ladies who look like they are doing nothing whilst we are struggling and...
21 May 2009
- Hi, I had a spinal fusion 7 years ago and have just injured my back again, I think the disc above my fusion which was L5-S1. I am slowly recovering and was wondering if you could tell me when would it be best to start walking again.
15 May 2009
- I began running in my early 40s but now mostly walk owing to worn back. My gripe is I never get faster no matter what I do or how I schedule my training! I want to break my Rotorua marathon time. Do you believe it is simply down to slow...
11 May 2009
- Would the Air Cycle be beneficial to someone who has trouble with Lymphodemia in one leg.
7 May 2009
- I wonder if the doctor has tried the Air Cycle inflatable exerciser which is written up this month's news? As it is for circulation problems (as well as for strengthening leg muscles to improve walking) does the doctor think it would help improve the cramps I suffer, especially at night?
23 April 2009
- I am 5 weeks post coronary artery bypass surgery and although I was fit before surgery I am finding it very tiring to try any walking distance build up. Can you please advise on a suitable build up program.
16 April 2009
- Is there a programme on how to build up to a 1/4 marathon walk
14 April 2009
- I want to start speed walking. At the moment I am walking 3x a week and would like to build up my endurance and vary speed as I am doing the Rotorua marathon in May.
4 March 2009
- Any special way that I can walk on metal roads as I live in a rural area.
26 January 2009
- How many steps do I need to walk a mile - Male, 5'11" 175lbs
26 January 2009
Can you recommend a pedometer that is reliable and robust, or if you are reluctant to recommend a brand, can you provide advice on what components I should be looking for when purchasing one. Thanks.
7 July 2008
- Do you have some good tips for not over indulging during the Xmas and New Year period..it always seems there must be a way to enjoy all the good food and wine without putting on tooooo much weight
17 December 2008
- How does walking help serotonin levels which are apparently needed to help with depression and anxiety?
28 October 2008
- Can you advise on what is the cheapest and reliable pedometer in the NZ market. I need to purchase approximately 150 pedometers for my company.
24 October 2008
- Whats the best alcohol to drink if you want to try and lose weight? Has white wine got more calories than red?
21 October 2008
- Can you please tell me how fast I should be walking to get real benefit. Lots of my friends run and go to the gym and don't see walking as a valid form of exercise so I want to know how much and how fast I should go to get...
9 October 2008
- I am looking at run/walking the 9kms leg in this ekidin relay race in Rotorua, can you please tell me what would be the best foods to eat before as I found that the other week when I went and did 8kms I got quite hungry and had some dried...
18 September 2008
- Is there any list available that has the phone numbers of landowners so we can get permission to do walks on conservation estate that is accessed through their land.
15 September 2008
- As a new member I would like some advise on what food I should eat to lose a few pounds along with my walking plan, thanks for this great website.
31 July 2008
- I would like to ask at some time in the future if you could please have a section for recipes for healthy eating maybe members could add to this -thanks for a wonderful website
21 August 2008
- Swollen Hands.
I am a walker and am doing a 21k walk on Sunday. Yesterday I went for a 15k walk and my hands swelled up, Is there a reason for this happening and can I prevent it from happening. I look forward to hearing from you.
24 July 2008
- What sort of diet should I choose walking 6.6 km a day in 1 hour on the flat to lose weight?
24 July 2008
- I am a 50 year young female. I hve been diagnosed with renal failure and have just had operations to enable me to go on dialysis 3 time per week. Since starting dialysis I am feeling somewhat more energised but notice I can only walk flat surfaces and lifting etc...
24 July 2008
- I am going on a 4 day tramp, but don't know what is the best footwear - tramping boots or something else. Have a pair of tramping boots but keep getting blizters. Need your advice!!
15 July 2008
- Hi, I have been walking for 6 months now. I started doing 3km/day and now do 9km/day 6 days a week. The problem is that I get a burning sensation under the ball of my feet and sometimes my feet feel as tho they are going numb, like my shoes...
14 July 2008
- Niggly Achilles
I have a niggly achilles, always very stiff and tender especially first thing in the morning. What is the best way to fix this?
7 July 2008
- Bad Headaches when Tramping...
2 July 2008